Among the many gifts that Mother Nature has bestowed upon us is the Clematis armandii. It is a beautiful flowering vine that has more than 200 hybrid species growing all over the world. The natural species are indigenous to Asia but a few of them also grow in North America, Europe, and Australia.
If you are growing this in your backyard, we would first like to congratulate you on your amazing choice. Soon, you will have stunning flowers in your garden and so much foliage that the overwhelming quantity will bring you endless joy.
However, just like everything else, Clematis needs a lot of tender love and care. These plants need nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorus in abundance. But, a lot of times, the soil is not nutrient-rich to meet these needs. This is why buying a good fertilizer that can compensate is advisable. We know what you are thinking – there are so many in the market. Which one should I buy?
This article answers this conundrum by listing out 5 of the best fertilizers available online today. Let’s take a look:
Best fertilizer for Clematis
Ready to pick the best? Keep reading!
1. Scott’s 2009501 Continuous Release Plant Food
Scott’s plant food is suitable for all flowering plants including Clematis. The continuous release food is very easy to use and gives the desired results almost immediately. Here are a few of its most attractive features:
- Anyone can apply it because it is that easy. You just have to put it directly on the soil.
- It is completely safe and will not harm your plant.
- The recommended timeline for application is once in 2 months because its slow release property will keep feeding the plant nitrogen for 60 days.
- The ratio of essential nutrients is 12:4:8 (nitrogen-phosphorus-potassium).
- Excellent product that works as expected
- Slow release time makes it sustainable and economical
- Results in great blooming round the year
2. Miracle-Gro Plant Food
Miracle-Gro is an extremely popular brand when it comes to plant food. It has a variety of products that are known to deliver nothing short of superior results. Let’s take a look at why this particular plant food is among the best today:
- It is a ready-to-use liquid product. You can use it directly without the need for mixing or adding anything to it.
- It is an instant feed for all potted plants, outdoors and indoors.
- You do not need to add water to it.
- The manufacturers say that you should add it to the soil once in 1-2 weeks based on the requirement.
- It is known to provide strength to the plant and aid the blooming of large, vibrant flowers.
- Strengths the plant
- Extremely convenient
- Not suitable for in-ground plants
3. EcoScraps – Flower Plant Food
The rose and flower variant of the EcoScraps brand is perfect for your Clematis. It is suitable for organic gardening and helps the blooming of all flowering plants. Let’s see why you should buy it:
- It is an all-in-one product with easy application.
- It has been specifically formulated to promote growth of roses, perennials, and annuals.
- The formulation also consists of recycled leftovers from various levels of the food life cycle, enabling plants to get all nutrients in one go. It is very rich in organic matter.
- It does not contain added poop.
- Sprinkle just a small amount on top of the soil and sit back to see the results.
- Contains a good amount of organic matter
- Does wonders for plants
- Extremely toxic to pets
- Has a strong smell
4. Jobe’s Organics Fertilizer
Say hello to your plant’s new best friend and also an Amazon’s Choice product! Jobe’s Organics is a granular fertilizer powered with biozome to give your plant a much-needed nutritional boost. Here’s why we love this product:
- It is an organic, fast-acting fertilizer formulated especially for flowering plants.
- The product has no synthetic chemicals.
- The brand’s proprietary microorganism archaea (Biozome) enables the smooth breakdown of particles so that the plant consistently gets its nutrients.
- It comes with multiple excellent properties such as fast growth, improving soil conditions, resisting diseases & pests, etc. during the growth period.
- You will need to apply this fertilizer once in 6 weeks.
- Promotes root growth
- Safe for pets and kids
- Improves nutrient absorption
- Has a strong smell
5. Burpee Organic Rose and Bloom Fertilizer – Granular
It feeds quickly but its results stay for months. That’s the beauty of Burpee! This granular plant food has a fertilizer analysis of 4-6-4, which is at par with Clematis’ requirements. Below, we have mentioned more reasons for you to consider it:
- It works in two ways – it immediately provides nutrients so that the plant gets an instant boost and then, it starts releasing nutrients slowly for plants to get a continuous supply of food.
- The formulation consists of beneficial microbes that help the growth of blooms that are stronger and more vibrant.
- It also enhances root development.
- Its ideal application is for container gardens, individual bushes, and established beds.
- It is OMRI-listed for organic use
- Easy to apply and provides the desired results
Let’s gloss through a few FAQs and their answers to get a better idea of Clematis and its needs.
Is Miracle-Gro a good fertilizer for Clematis?
Yes. It is a good product especially because Clematis plants are heavy feeders and they require a well-balanced fertilizer.
When should I fertilize my Clematis?
The recommended duration is once per month. But fertilizers usually come with application and duration instructions. Kindly follow them for best results.
Is Epsom salt good for Clematis?
Epsom salt can revive your plant if it has yellowing foliage. This is because the salt has magnesium that’s good for growth.
Why are my Clematis leaves turning yellow?
Yellowing can be attributed to magnesium deficiency. You can revive it with Epsom salt.
How do you make Clematis grow faster?
A good fertilizer with nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium in adequate proportions can help your Clematis grow and bloom faster.
Are coffee grounds good for Clematis?
Yes, you can feed your Clematis coffee grounds. They are safe.
How do you water Clematis?
Potted Clematis pots need to be watered 2-3 times a week. The container should allow good drainage so that the soil is moist and never wet. Before watering, make sure the top soil is dry.
We hope this article answered all your doubts and has helped you pick the best fertilizer for Clematis. Go on then, buy the right product and shower your plant with lots of love! If you have any concerns, we are here to help. Please reach out!