Pomegranate trees are easy to grow when they are nourished with care and proper maintenance. They grow in well-drained, moist, and average soil and need low maintenance. If you are fascinated about growing pomegranate in your garden, you must be wondering about the feed your pomegranate trees would need.
Well, they grow fast and bear delicious fruits. Deciding the right fertilizer for pomegranate can be overwhelming, therefore to help you out, we have mentioned the best pomegranate fertilizers. But before jumping on the reviews, we would like to give you a brief on pomegranate fertilizers.
Do pomegranate trees need fertilizer, and how to buy a suitable fertilizer for pomegranate?
It is nowhere mentioned that you have to use fertilizer for pomegranate trees, but fertilizers help the trees to grow suitably and successfully. To buy a suitable fertilizer for your pomegranate tree, you have to determine the soil sample. The soil testing can be done at a local extension office or anywhere the soil testing services are offered. Also, if you have some basic knowledge about pomegranate fertilizing, it will be beneficial.
What are the pomegranate fertilizing needs?
Pomegranate trees thrive in soil with a pH range from 6.0-7.0. Basically, it can grow in acidic soil. Therefore you need to keep in mind the following points.
- If your soil results indicate that they need more acid, apply soil sulfur, chelated iron, or aluminum sulfate.
- Nitrogen is an essential element that is required by the pomegranate and should be fertilized accordingly.
Now that you know the basics, all you have to do is select the best fertilizer for your pomegranate trees. However, with ample options available in the market, it may be a tedious task. Don’t worry; we have your back. With the best of our knowledge and research, we have shortlisted and reviewed the best fertilizers for pomegranate trees.
Best Fertilizer For Pomegranate Tree
1. Miracle-Gro Shake’ N Feed All-purpose plant food
Miracle-Gro Shake is all-purpose plant food and will be suitable as a pomegranate fertilizer. It contains all-natural ingredients that feed the soil. The microbes it has breakdown into small nutrients that help your plant to grow. The fertilizer also supports root strengths and development that can increase water efficiency. In a nutshell, Miracle-Gro Shake’ N Feed is specially formulated to boost the vibrant, powerful, and productive plant.
- It is full of essential nutrients that would help and nourish your soil.
- Even if you use it directly, it is not going to burn.
- It can be used in both containers and grounds.
- It contains vital micronutrients that will help in growing healthy plants.
- It can feed the plants for up to 3 months.
- If used over, it can cause harm to young shrubs.
- The seal of the product is not durable, so you may have to store it well.
2. Jobe’s organics fruit & citrus fertilizer spikes
Jobe’s organic fertilizer is one of the best fertilizers for pomegranate trees. Significantly if you are growing your pomegranate tree in a small pot, this fertilizer is the best choice. The fertilizer is a combination of healthy bacteria, mycorrhizal fungi, and Archaea. The unique and beneficial blend of microorganisms helps improve soil quality for the long term, promote plant growth, increase root mass, and protect your plants from diseases. Jobe’s organic fertilizer is bound to be renewable, sustainable, biodegradable, and great for the environment.
- It is the best option for organic fertilizer.
- It is ideal for fruit trees and helps them grow healthy.
- It is available in a 6 resealable pack pouch.
- It improves soil quality, which in turn gives you a better yield.
- It is safe for the environment as it is made up of organic matter.
- It is mostly suitable for pot or container plants.
- Sometimes the fertilizer stick can grow mold if not preserved properly.
3. Dr. Earth 708 P Organic 9 Fruit Tree Fertilizer
Dr. Earth 708 P Organic 9 Fruit Fertilizer for pomegranate is exclusively organic and contains probiotic seven super strains of beneficial soil microbes. It also has an ecto and endo mycorrhizae that stimulate healthy root development. It helps to produce more nutritious fruits. The fertilizer also supports plant growth without any spikes and works better than chemical fertilizers.
- It is made with 100% natural and organic ingredients.
- It doesn’t contain GMOs, sewage sludge, or chicken manure.
- It provides optimum levels of vital nutrients.
- It has nutrients that contribute to tolerance for drought.
- It provides feed for several months.
- Sometimes it is not suitable for already planted trees.
- It doesn’t have a pleasant odor.
4. Down to Earth organic Fruit Tree Fertilizer Mix
The Down-to-earth organic fruit tree fertilizer mix is a perfect choice for a pomegranate tree fertilizer if you have pomegranate trees in the backyard. The fertilizer is designed for nutritious and delicious fruits and has all essential nutrients. The fertilizer is perfectly blended with ideal proportions of growth stimulants and a multi-purpose blend for soil improvement.
- It can be used on all varieties of fruiting shrubs, trees, and canes.
- It is made from calcium carbonate, potassium sulfate, Langbeinite, etc.
- It is specially formulated to encourage nutritious and delicious fruits.
- It provides all primary nutrients that are essential for plant growth.
- OMRI lists it for use in organic production.
- It contains fishbone, therefore not suitable if you are looking for vegetarian ingredients.
- It is not recommended for container or pot plants.
5. Espoma TR4 4-Pound Tree Tone Plant Food
If you love the look of a lush and green pomegranate backyard, then this is your choice for pomegranate fertilizer. When you notice that your trees are a little lifeless, you know that it is time to nourish them with all they need. And this is when the Espoma Tree-Tone Tree Food comes to save your pomegranate trees. It is specifically designed to help develop the full tree, and your yard will start looking like your very own magical botanical garden.
- It is a complete plant food with 15 essential nutrients.
- It is specially formulated for feeding and planting fruit trees.
- It does not contain any hazardous or toxic stuff.
- It is a complex blend of natural ingredients.
- It is an environmentally friendly option.
- It is not ideal for baby plants.
- It can catch fungi if not stored appropriately.
If you are interested in growing fresh pomegranate fruit in your home garden, all you have to do is take care of it. The pomegranate tree only needs occasional attention and some primary care. And a suitable fertilizer will do the needful.
If you are looking for fertilizer, then remember that a pomegranate tree needs adequate nitrogen for growth because it supports the development of foliage and flower production. For extra support, you can use balanced 10 – 10 – 10 formula, ammonium sulfate, that could be offered during the initial years.
That said, we are mentioning two FAQs that are usually asked by the users.
How do you fertilize a pomegranate tree?
It is not advised to fertilize the pomegranate trees during the first year. Instead, you can use rotted manure or other kitchen compost. In the second year, you can go with nitrogen, and with each successive year, you can increase the amount.
Is it advisable to use citrus fertilizer on pomegranate trees?
The pomegranate tree grows in slightly acidic soil, whereas citric plants tend to use a fertilizer that tends to increase the acidity. Therefore, without knowing the pH of your soil, you cannot determine whether you want to use citrus fertilizer. Otherwise, too acidic soil can harm your pomegranate trees.
After reviewing the products now, it is time to pick the best fertilizer for pomegranate trees. We have done an extensive research to pick up the products that suit everyone’s needs. However, if we have to pick one, then Miracle-Gro Shake’ N Feed All-purpose plant food is our top choice. We hope we have saved from the burden of the selection procedure. You can also check their features on Amazon. Enjoy the view of your growing pomegranate plant.